My son recently turned one and we threw a goldfish themed birthday party. It was "off the hook"! I really hope you just laughed. My family has been rolling their eyes at my lameness every time I told them that the party was going to be "off the hook". But, to be honest, it really was!
A couple overall tips:
- When planning a party on a budget, whether it's for adults or kids, pick a couple colors (maybe two or three) and go with it. You can buy very inexpensive paper goods, balloons, ribbons and decor on the Internet. When it's all put together, it looks great and you really didn't spend that much. Since Quinn's party was goldfish themed, we used shades of blue and orange.
- Edit your house. I removed a lot of my tabletop tchotchkes and wall hangings so the focus of the party was not on my usual decor, but rather the decor of the party.
I wish I could have had a Top 10, 11 or 12. I had so many ideas...look on the Finnster page for the overflow!
1. Frosted Sugar Cookies: I have used this sugar cookie recipe for years to make Christmas cookies and it really can apply anywhere. I made the cookies about a week ahead and froze them until the day before. They still came out great! I (and it really is all about what I like, right?) like them somewhat chewy, so I slightly under-bake them.
|Beta and Real Goldfish|
|High Chair Ribbon Banner|
|Come Make a Splash Invitations|
7. Come Make a Splash Invitations: I was not big on handwriting invitations and certainly didn't want to spend money to have invitations printed. So, I made them myself on PowerPoint. I know that's probably not the most conventional program to use, but I'm very familiar with it, so it didn't take long. A little bit of clip art mixed with some fancy font...and there you have it.
|Name Banner for Cake|
8. Cupcake Name Banner: Ok, so I know this is not fish themed, but I couldn't help myself...I had to put it on the list. The ease to cuteness ratio was just too high! I was trying to think of a creative way to display Quinn's name on the cupcakes without ruining my frosting. I used two paper straws, some thread, tape and round tags from the scrapbooking section of my local craft store. I was thrilled with how adorable it came out. My inspiration came from this site. I can customize and make one for you too! Email me!