|Grilled Spatchcock Chicken|
Serves a crowd
- 1 4-5 lb whole chicken, giblets removed
- 4-5 TBSP butter
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 1 TBSP smoked paprika
- 1 TBSP garlic powder
- 1 TBSP onion powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 sprig rosemary
- Preheat one side of grill to medium-high heat leaving the other side off for indirect heat.
- To prepare chicken, find the backbone of the chicken. If you have kitchen shears (or use a sharp knife), cut along both sides of the backbone to to remove it. Then find the breast bone the use a sharp knife to pierce it. Fold open the chicken hearing the breast bone crack. This video is GREAT for more specific instructions.
- Slice each TBSP of butter into 2 pads. Slide the pad under the skin in different locations. Using your hands, coat the entire chicken (skin and meat sides) with olive oil.
- Prepare the rub by combing paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Spread the rub over the entire chicken using your hands. Tuck the sprig of rosemary inside the chicken.
- Place the chicken breast side down over direct heat. Cook for 10-15 minutes checking 1-2 times to make sure it's not burning. If it is, rotate to indirect heat or lower temperature. Flip the chicken and grill for 30 more minutes. Continue to flip until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.