- 8 oz spaghetti, uncooked, rinsed in cold water
- 28 oz crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup water or broth
- 1/2 cup heavy red wine
- 6 oz tomato paste
- 1 lb ground meat (any combination of any type of ground meat and/or sausage will work)
- 4 oz mushrooms, chopped (shiitake suggested but any variety will work)
- 1 Vidalia onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Parmesan cheese for serving, freshly grated
- Combine all ingredients except cheese in a deep sided skillet or saucepan. Stir to break up meat.
- Bring to a boil and cook for 10 minutes, uncovered, stirring occasionally. After 10 minutes, check pasta. If it is too al dente, add 1/4 cup of water and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve warm with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.