- 8 oz rigatoni, uncooked, rinsed in cold water to remove excess starch
- 1/1/2 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced
- 1/2 Vidalia onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, chopped (optional)
- 28 oz crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup water or stock
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 tsp salt
- 1-2 TBSP Italian seasoning (to taste)
- 1/2-1 tsp crushed red pepper (to taste)
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 3 cloves garlic, grated
- Parmesan cheese for garnish, freshly grated
- Torn basil for garnish
- Combine all ingredients except the cheese and basil in a deep sided skillet or saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over high heat and reduce to a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes, uncovered, stirring occasionally. After 10 minutes, check the pasta. If it is too al dente, add a 1/4 cup of water as needed and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes.
- Serve warm garnished with freshly grated Parmesan cheese and torn basil.