|Golden Oreo Cupcakes|
Makes 14-16 cupcakes
- 20 Golden Oreos (4 divided into quarters for garnish)
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar (7 ounces)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick), room temperature
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 2 large egg yolks, room temperature
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 TBSP milk (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line standard muffin/cupcake tin with paper or foil liners. Place one Oreo in the bottom of each cupcake liner.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add butter, sour cream, egg and egg yolks, and vanilla. Use an electric mixer to beat at medium speed until smooth and satiny, about 30 seconds. Scrape down sides of bowl with rubber spatula and mix by hand until smooth and no flour pockets remain.
- Divide batter evenly among cups of prepared tin using 2-ounce ice cream scoop or heaping tablespoon. Bake until cupcake tops are pale gold and toothpick or skewer inserted into center comes out clean, 20 to 24 minutes. Use skewer or paring knife to lift cupcakes from tin and transfer to wire rack; cool cupcakes to room temperature, about 45 minutes before frosting.
- Beat butter for a few minutes with an electric mixer with on medium speed. Add 2 1/2 cups of powdered sugar and turn your mixer on the lowest speed (so the sugar doesn’t blow everywhere) until the sugar has been incorporated with the butter. Increase mixer speed to medium and add vanilla extract. Beat for 3 minutes.
- If your frosting needs a more stiff consistency, add remaining sugar. If your frosting needs to be thinned out, add milk 1 TBSP at a time.
- Frost each cooled cupcake with a small offset spatula and place a quarter Oreo on top for garnish.
Check out the rest of the Top Ate All Time Favorite Desserts.