|Turkey Breast with Sausage and Apple Stuffing|
- 10 cups of sourdough bread, cubed into 1/2 inch pieces
- 5 TBSP butter
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1 vidalia onion
- 2 lbs of chicken or turkey sausage
- 2 apples, peeled and diced
- 2 TBSP sage, finely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups of chicken stock
- 2 eggs
- 1 4 lb turkey breast, butterflied and pounded to 1/2-1 inch thickness
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spread bread cubes in a single layer on a cookie sheet and toast for 10-12 minutes. Transfer toasted bread into a large bowl.
- Heat 1 TBSP butter and 1 TBSP olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add onion and sausage and sauté for 10-12 minutes or until onions are translucent and sausage is browned. Transfer to the same bowl as the bread taking care to leave the pan drippings in the pan.
- Add 1 TBSP butter to the pan. Sauté the apples for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer to the same bowl as the bread and sausage take care to leave the pan drippings.
- Add 1 TBSP butter to the pan. Sauté the sage for 1 minute, then transfer to the bowl.
- Stir all ingredients and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 2-24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Add chicken stock and eggs to the stuffing and stir to combine thoroughly.
- Lay the turkey breast flat with the skin side down and season with salt and pepper. Spoon stuffing evenly over the entire turkey breast leaving about 1 inch around the edges. There will be extra stuffing.
- Roll the turkey breast lengthwise taking care that the skin ends up on top (like this). Tie the breast together with four 12 inch pieces of kitchen twine. Season the outside with salt, pepper, paprika and garlic powder. Divide the remaining 2 TBSP of butter into several small pads and place them over the skin. Place turkey breast in roasting pan. Spoon extra stuffing around the breast in the roasting pan.
- Roast for 1 hour 15 minutes or until the internal cooking temperature reaches 160 degrees.
See more of my Top Ate STUFFED Recipes.