|Sausage and Goat Cheese Strata from|
Top Ate on Your Plate
- Cooking spray
- 8 slices of fresh sourdough bread, diced into ½ in pices
- 2 cooked chicken sausage, diced
- 1 caramelized onion
- 1 cup cooked asparagus, diced
- 4 oz mozzerlla cheese, grated
- 4 oz crumbled goat cheese
- 6 eggs
- 1 ½ cups buttermilk (regular milk can be substituted)
- 1 TBSP honey mustard
- 2 TBSP turkey bacon crumbles, cooked
- 2 TBSP Parmesan cheese
- Spray the baking dish. Layer in the following order: ½ the bread, caramelized onion, asparagus, mozzarella cheese, sausage, goat cheese, ½ the bread.
- Whisk the eggs, buttermilkmilk, salt and mustard in a small mixing bowl. Pour over the baking dish making sure to cover the top pieces of bread. Press bread down and tightly cover. Refrigerate for at least 8 hours or up to 24 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Remove from refrigerator and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with bacon crumbles and Parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.
Note: I used asparagus and caramelized onions as my veggies because that I was what I had on hand left over form the previous night. Any cooked veggies could be used. A couple suggestions are broccoli, peppers, mushrooms or even apples for a sweeter spin on this recipe.