|Chicken and Dumplings, Spanish Style form|
Top Ate on Your Plate
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 2 pinches saffron (optional)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 pound smoked turkey sausage, casings remove and chopped
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, diced
- 3/4 pound medium to large white mushrooms, quartered
- 1 Vidalia onion, chopped
- 3 large cloves garlic, grated
- 1 bay leaf, fresh or dried
- 3 rounded tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup dry Spanish red wine
- mix to prepare 8 drop biscuits, prepared to package directions, (Bisquick recommended)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- In a small saucepan, combine the stock and saffron, bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer to allow the saffron to steep. Note: I have prepared this dish with and without the saffron. It can be prepared with just chicken stock.
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a large saucepan. Add the sausage and brown for 2 minutes. Then add the chicken and lightly brown for about 3 minutes. Stir in the mushrooms, onions and garlic as you chop them and add the bay leaf and salt to taste. Put a lid on the pot and increase the heat to high for 5-7 minutes to soften the vegetables. Stir in the flour to coat all meat and vegetables. Add the wine and stir a minute more, then add the saffron broth.
- While vegetables soften, put the biscuit mix in a bowl and stir in the parsley and paprika. Add the liquids to package directions for the biscuits.
- Drop 8 small mounds of biscuit dough onto the surface of the chicken and sauce. Cover with tight fitting lid and cook for 7-8 minutes.
- Ladle into shallow serving bowls and serve.