|Cheesy Sausage and Spinach Egg Bake from|
Top Ate on Your Plate
- ½ loaf of French bread, cubed into 1/2 inch cubes (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 TBSP olive oil, divided
- 1 Vidalia onion, finely diced
- 1 pound sweet Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 2 TBSP fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt, plus extra for seasoning
- 1 cup of goat cheese crumbles
- 6 large eggs
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Toss the bread cubes with 1 tablespoon oil and spread out on a cookie sheet. Bake until the cubes begin to turn light golden around the edges, 10-12 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sausage. Break up the sausage with a wooden spoon and cook until the sausage has browned and the onion is soft, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the spinach and cook, stirring frequently, until wilted, 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and the basil. Spread the mixture evenly into a 13-by-9-by-2-inch glass baking dish or ceramic baking dish. Sprinkle the goat cheese on the mixture and arrange the bread cubes on top. Make 6 slight indentations in the mixture where the eggs will be cracked. Cover and chill. This can be prepared 2 hours ahead.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Crack 1 egg into each indentation, making sure to keep the yolks intact. Sprinkle the eggs lightly with salt. Bake until the egg whites are set but yolks are still runny, about 15 minutes (or 18 minutes for a fully cooked yolk).