|Vegetarian Tortilla Soup from|
Top Ate on Your Plate
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 Vidalia onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, grated
- 3 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 3 (4 ounce) cans chopped green chili peppers, drained
- 4 (14 ounce) cans vegetable broth
- salt to taste
- 1 can corn kernels, no salt added
- 12 ounces tortilla chips
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 oz fat free or low fat sour cream
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1-2 TBSP cilantro, chopped
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Stir in the peppers, onions, garlic, and cumin, and cook 5 minutes, until vegetables are tender. Mix in the tomatoes and chilis. Pour in the broth, and season with salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer 30 minutes.
- Mix corn into the soup, and continue cooking 5 minutes. Serve in bowls over equal amounts of tortilla chips. Top with cheese and avocado and chopped cilantro.
Note: This soup can be served with Smoked Lime Sour Cream instead of plain sour cream if desired. The recipe is included here.