|Saucy Baked Eggplant from Top Ate on Your Plate|
- 2 large eggplants
- 3 eggs, beaten (more if needed)
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs (more if needed)
- olive oil to coat cookie sheet
- 10 cloves garlic, grated
- Crushed red pepper to taste
- 2 cans crushed tomatoes
- 3 TBSP fresh basil, chopped
- 3 TBSP fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 TBSP white Sugar
- 1 cups of grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Coat cookie sheet with 1 tsp of olive oil. Cut eggplant into 1/2 inch round slices. Dip each piece of eggplant into egg and breadcrumbs to coat thoroughly.
- Bake eggplant on oiled cookie sheet for 20 minutes, then flip and bake for 20 more minutes.
- While the eggplant is cooking, heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add grated garlic to oil. Add a dash of crushed red pepper. (I usually shake my container 3-4 times into the pot.) Add tomatoes and stir. Add salt and pepper to taste, basil, parsley and sugar. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- When eggplant finishes, turn oven to 400 degrees. In a 9 by 13 baking dish, layer sauce, Parmesan cheese, eggplant, then repeat. Make sure to end with sauce and cheese. Cover with foil and bake for an hour. Serve warm with additional sauce, if desired.