|Crispy Quinoa Cakes from|
Top Ate on Your Plate
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup cooked chickpeas, coarsely chopped
- ¼-1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (or really whatever you like)
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- ¼ cup carrot, grated
- 1/4 cup Vidalia onion, finely chopped
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 avocado, sliced for topping
- 1/4 cup low fat or fat free sour cream
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- Add quinoa and stock to a medium sauce pan and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cover, cooking for 15 minutes or until can be fluffed with a fork. Let cool.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine quinoa, chickpeas, onions, breadcrumbs, carrots, garlic, cheese, egg and salt. Mix well by using your hands. Form into golf ball sized rounds by squeezing a handful of quinoa together and smoothed it into a round, it may take some squeezing and form to get the patties to stick. This recipe should make about 5 or 6 cakes.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add 2 tablespoons olive oil. Once hot, add the cakes and cook until crispy and golden brown, about 5-6 minutes. Gently flip and cook 3-4 minutes more. Remember that the second side always cooks faster. While cakes are cooking, combine the sour cream and paprika. Serve warm with sour cream and avocado.