|Creamy Pumpkin and Sausage Pasta|
from Top Ate on Your Plate
- non-stick cooking spray
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 Vidalia onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 5 sweet turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 3 sprigs of sage, chopped
- 1 lb shells pasta (or other desired shape)
- 1 15 oz can pure pumpkin
- 3/4 cup pasta cooking water
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded (or cheddar if you want extra sharpness)
- 1 lightly packed cup baby spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 13x9x2 pan with non-stick cooking spray. Prepare pasta al dente, cooking it about 3-4 minutes less than the package instructions. Make sure to reserve 3/4 cups of pasta cooking liquid.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions, garlic and salt and cook for 4-5 minutes. Add sausage, breaking into crumbles. Cook for 4-5 more minutes or until browned. Add chopped sage, pumpkin, pasta water, chicken stock, Parmesan cheese and mozzarella, stirring to combine. Remove from heat and stir in pasta and spinach.
- Transfer to a greased baking dish. Combine Panko breadcrumbs and Parmesan Cheese. Sprinkle over top and bake, in oven, for 15 minutes. Turn oven to broil and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes or until the topping is golden brown. Serve warm with additional cheese, if desired.