|Brie Mac and Cheese with Apple Onion |
Compote from Top Ate on Your Plate
Mac and Cheese
- 12 oz elbow noodles, cooked to al dente
- 1 TBSP butter
- 1 TBSP all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- ¾ cup shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
- 6 oz triple cream brie cheese, rind removed and diced
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 small gala apple, peeled and diced
- 1/2 TBSP butter
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 TBSP apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- ½ tsp chopped rosemary
Bread Crumb Topping
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
Mac and Cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Cook elbow macaroni in salted pasta water for 5-6 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- While pasta cooks, melt 1 TBSP butter into medium skillet over medium heat. Whisk in flour until smooth. Add milk and whisk until it thickens for about 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and add cheddar and brie cheese. Stir until thickened. Add cooked macaroni. Combine thouroughly. Transfer to a ceramic baking dish.
- Prepare the breadcrumb topping by melting butter in microwave. Stir in breadcrumbs until moistened. Sprinkle over mac and cheese.
- Place in oven and cook for 10 minutes. Turn oven to broil and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- In a small skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in onions and apples until softened. Sprinkle with sugar and salt. Cook for 2 minutes. Stir in vinegar. Turn off heat and add rosemary. Let sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Spread over top the mac and cheese. Garnish with extra sprig of rosemary.